Monday, July 20, 2009

Eath (for Earth)

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

These words were spoken by astronaut Neil Armstrong as he gazed upon Earth during Apollo 11’s lunar mission. It’s hard to imagine what a sight that was, but even the photos of Earth taken from space are awe-inspiring.

Eath is a typo of moderate probability on the Ballard list with 11 entries in OhioLink. Fixing such entries in your own catalog might require some care, though, as “Eath” (or D'Eath) can be a legitimate surname and also an old Scottish word meaning “easy.”

(Blue Marble, a famous Apollo 17 photograph, from Wikimedia Commons)


Deb Kulczak

No comments: