Thursday, February 4, 2010

Elementry (for Elementary)

Today is the birthday of my favorite elementary school teacher and today's typo reminds me of an old joke. (Teacher sends a note home with one of her pupils. It reads: "Junior is trying... Very trying.") I'm not joking when I say there were 16 cases of Elementry in OhioLINK this morning, which makes it a highly trying typo, according to the Ballard list. A quick keyword search in WorldCat returned a hefty 180 hits on this one; I also found three in my own library's catalog. The fix is quite simple, though—dare I say elementary, my dear Watson, or whatever your name may be. If you put an A in the right place, and do it right away, you will definitely earn an A+ from me!

(There is such a thing as too many A's, though, at least in English, if not in the place pictured here... Elementary School in Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh, India. This school is adopted by Aashritha under the 'Paathshaala' project. From Wikimedia Commons.)

Carol Reid

No comments: