Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Apolg* (for Apolog*)

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima ... oh, forget it! Katt Williams issued the classic "non-apology" over the weekend when he was called to account for an extended anti-Mexican rant he permitted himself, in the style of Michael Richards several years ago, after being heckled in a comedy club. "If I said anything anti-Mexican," he told CNN, "I apologize for its anti-Mexican-ness." And even worse: "I apologize for the fact that the word 'anti-Mexican' is being said to a black guy in America." (It kind of gives new meaning to the phrase "a sorry excuse" ... Sorry, but that's a sorry excuse for an excuse!) However, insincere apologies have become de rigueur in show business and pretty much anyplace else where there are people to take offense. In any event, I too have been warned that I might've gone a bit too far in Monday's blog post about not wearing white after Labor Day. So if I said anything inappropriately anti-anything yesterday, I apologize for its possibly inappropriate anti-anything-ism. And I'm also sorry to say, but there were 11 hits on Apolg* in OhioLINK today and 129 in WorldCat.

(Katt Williams, 10-23-2008, courtesy of New York Daily News and Wikimedia Commons.)


Carol Reid

No comments: